Getting braces has definitely been an increasing trend in the dental environment!
Getting braces has definitely been an increasing trend in the dental environment! However, knowing how to keep them clean to ensure you achieve the best healthy smile possible at the end is the most important factor of your orthodontic treatment. Give these healthy tips a try if you have braces:
- Keep a kit containing a toothbrush, toothpaste and either SuperFloss or a Pikster with you everywhere you go! You never know when you might need it after a meal.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once a day – however, the more often you do this – the better your gum health will be!
- Start off slow – use a manual toothbrush when you first get braces to perfect your brushing technique. As you now have more things in your mouth than just teeth your actual technique will need to change.
- Drink plenty of water and stay away from the sweet/sugary drinks (both between and after meals). This will help with good saliva flow and will also reduce your risk of dental decay
- Use lip balm – to help keep your lips hydrated and moisturized
- Attend regular check-ups and have dental cleans completed more often! Due to the presence of brackets and wires, unfortunately, your teeth will attract more plaque and calculus. These basic tips can ensure you smile after your orthodontic treatment will be a healthy one! For further information or questions on how these tips may apply to you, speak to your dental