Snoring is when you make a noise or sound whilst breathing during your sleep. It occurs due to a lot of factors including:
- The anatomy of the mouth and sinuses,
- Alcohol and tobacco consumption,
- A cold, and
- Your weight.
Not to fear there are also many ways to overcome snoring:
- Try a different sleeping position. If you are one to sleep on your back, then try a different sleep position. This is because when you sleep on your back your tongue tends to roll towards the back of the mouth, resulting in snoring.
- Try to lose some weigh. People who are overweight are more likely to be snorers. The soft tissue around the face and neck become constricted by the fat cells may be causing you to snore. If possible, try to lose some weight as this may help you snore less.
- Have a balanced diet. Having a balanced diet can help with almost everything. Snoring is another thing to add to your list since having a balanced diet helps with weight loss and maintenance. Two of the main culprits per sae are alcohol and tobacco.
Snoring is also a symptom of a sleep disorder called Sleep Apnea. Sleep Apnea is when breathing repeatedly stops and starts. When airflow to your chest stops for 10 seconds or longer, your brain is triggered to wake up. This can happen up to 30 times every hour even though you may not remember waking up. This can put a strain on your body and you may feel tired during the day without even realising. Sleep Apnea can be reduced with certain treatment. One option is a device made by a dentist to allow for better airflow when sleeping. You can visit the dentist if you wish to discuss this option.
If you would like to book a consult regarding snoring or sleep apnea please don’t hesitate to call us on 6255 7800 for an appointment.